In our lab till now there were mainly IBM /Lenovo and Fujitsu servers, so the R730 was also new for me.
The 13th Gen server (of course it is great and fast) has a very special functionality, called iDRAC Quick Sync. This solution allows you to manage some of the 13th Gen Dell rack servers by touching your phone to the front bezel using the NFC technology. Sounds amazing, right?
The iDRAC Quick Sync is visible at back side of the front bezel
How to setup
- Power On the NFC capable 13th Gen Dell server
- Install the DELL OpenManage Mobile to your iOS /Android phone
- Enable the NFC on your phone
- Press the iDRAC Quick Sync button on the front bezel
- In the OpenManage app select the iDRAC Quick Sync Read option and touch the front bezel with your phone (can be password protected)
- After 1-2 sec a new iDRAC item will be listed in the app.
What is possible?
With this convenient mobile solution lots of information about the server can be polled.
- Basic data, server components list
- Server event logs
- Firmware details (from all of the components, even from the PCIe cards)
- Network (iDRAC) details: IPv4/6 and MAC addresses
- Health (storage, battery, FAN, Power, Temp, Voltage..) status
- Warranty info – based on the Service Tag the start/end date, order and customer numbers are displayed
- Link to the components list.
This list can be refreshed whenever you want. The another great function is that e.g. the iDRAC network settings can be modified and applied on the server.
So if you have such DELL Rx30 server and NFC capable phone, it definitely worth a try!