First of all a lot of books, whitepapers, blog posts, case studies from the VCAP5-DCD are still very good and valid, I used (almost all of) them again. I would suggest to check this post, where I have listed the study material (It’s Hungarian, but just use the links). In the followings there will be new materials for 5.5 as well – (since my last DCD exam a lot of new and good resources came up) – and for vSphere 6. So here is my list which contains only the new materials, so check my version 5 DCD resources here first.
- ! 3C0-622 Blueprint / Exam Preparation Guide v1.2 – this is the first step.
- ! vSphere 6 Docu – all of them. know the new (and old) features in details
- ! Technical Papers – various. there are a lot of good docu here.
- ! VMware Feature Walkthrough: Step-by-Step VMware How-to’s – (blog) – to get quick high level overview about VMware solutions via screenshots
- ! VMware Hands On Labs (HOL) – To explore VMware products in a virtual lab environment – play with features.
- List of recommended topologies for VMware vSphere 6.0.x (2108548)
- VMware Platform Services Controller 6.0 FAQs (2113115)
- Virtual SAN TCO Calculator
- Storage Protocol Comparison White Paper
- vSphere Networking Configuration – Advanced/Troubleshooting Notes & Tips
- Multipathing policies in ESXi 5.x and ESXi/ESX 4.x (1011340)
- VMware Virtual SAN 6.0 Design and Sizing Guide, 81 pages
- Reference Design: VMware® NSX for vSphere (NSX) Network Virtualization Design Guide, 197 pages
I have red again the following books:
- ! VCAP5-DCD Official Cert Guide by Paul McSharry, VMware Press, 208 pages
- ! Mastering VMware vSphere 6 by Nick Marshall, Sybex, 840 pages
And a very new book from Duncan Epping, called:
- vSphere HA deepdive 6.x – available on Gitbook, for free!
- ! Exam simulator, excellent job by Jason Grierson (@JasonTweet7889) – forum is here
- Collated vSphere Best Practices, Pre-requisites and requirements (231 pages, pdf) by Paul Meehan
- Study pack by Jason Grierson
- Exam Preparation Workbook by Russ O’Connor
- How to Configure VMware Affinity Rules for DRS and Storage DRS
- What is a Platform Services Controller (PSC) in vSphere 6.0
- Path Selection Policy with ALUA
- vSphere Sizing Formula – Storage & Datastores
- Virtual Pharaohs – many blog posts
- VMware Application Dependencies and Entity Relationship Diagrams MK2
- vSphere 6: VMware Certificate Authority (VMCA): Design Decisions
Exam experiences (w study resources)
- from vmroyale.com – 5.5 based, but has some useful links.
- from vbyron.com – still 5.5 based, but a good one
- from vcdx133.com – VCAP6-DCV Design Beta Exam Recap
- from vroomblog.com – VCAP6 DCV (3V0-622) Design -Beta exam- feedback
- from virtual-kim.com – exam experience and resources for v6
- To play with the features I would suggest to build a home (nested) lab, if possible. Of course there are other good possibilities (VMware HOL, as I mentioned), but I think the best if you have your own sandbox.
I hope these resources will help to you as well. Good luck with your exam!
We still don’t know the results,
excepted after 06/23/2016.
Update 07/24/2016: VMware has just announced: 2x VCAP6 Design Certification Exams Available (DCV and CMA) and also finally something about the beta scoring:
we are currently rescoring those results and expect to have your score out to you by the middle of August.